Everyone has a wheelie bin at home to throw their daily rubbish. Wheelie bins keep rubbish in place, improve sanitation and of course, keep the premises clean. But, isn’t cleaning and caring for wheelie bins challenging sometimes?
The wheelie bin is probably one of the most neglected pieces of equipment at home because it is often believed that they are tough, dirty items. But this doesn’t have to be the case.
Keeping your wheelie bin clean is important because it means you won’t have an unsightly rubbish pile in front of your house or in a nearby street corner. You don’t want to attract vermin and insects which might even carry diseases inside their body. With our great tips below, caring for your wheelie bin will become super easy.
Here are some useful tips to help you with this task.
We’re an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Table of Contents
Wheelie Bins Cleaning Tips
In the UK, three types of wheelie bins are usually found in most houses: one for general waste, recycle and garden wheelie bin. Some councils have more bin types to include bottles and other materials. The cleaning methods of all these wheelie bins are quite similar.
Did you know that there are multiple ways of cleaning wheelie bins effectively? These methods vary depending upon how rigid the stain is. Here are the three methods to help you keep your wheelie bin clean:
1. Cleaning with a Hose
Sometimes, food waste, pet waste, and other types of sticky junks remain inside the wheelie bin in spite of giving it quick swill. You need to use a garden hose to clean those stubborn particles effectively. To start with, lie your wheelie bin on its side and use the garden hose to blast water inside. You may also use a pressure washer to clean your bin properly. After you have removed the cooked food waste and rotting waste with a hose, use a mild detergent and give it another blast. Leave your wheelie bin to dry for a few hours.
2. Cleaning with Diluted Bleach
If you want to give your wheelie bin the most effective cleaning, you can pour some bleach in your empty wheelie bin and then fill half of the bin with cold water. Leave it for half an hour and then rinse the bin with water. However, this method is not good for the environment because draining bleach water can be harmful to aquatic life.
3. Cleaning with Biodegradable Products
You will find biodegradable cleaning products at your home that are environmentally friendly. Without exposing you or the animals to chemicals, these ensure effective cleaning as some of the strong detergents and bleach. Baking soda and lemon juice are a few examples of such products that you can use for cleaning your waste bins.
Wheelie Bins Caring Tips
Cleaning your wheelie bin with safe products will ensure its longevity. But, are you looking for some other useful tips for caring for your wheelie bin? Here you go:
- Do not overload your wheelie bin as that might damage it in the long run. Each wheelie bin has a specific capacity to load trash and you need to make sure you know the capacity of your recycling bin.
- Always keep your bin closed with the bin lid. If you keep it open, it may attract flies.
- Keep an eye on the components of your wheelie bin such as its door and wheel. In case you find these components damaged, consider repairing or replacing your bin.
- Handle your wheelie bin with care while disposing of trash. If you handle it roughly, it will get damaged sooner than it’s supposed to.
- Use rubber gloves if needed and deep clean the bin after removing the trash to ensure there are no unpleasant odours.
- Always use clean water while washing your outdoor bins. Keep them in direct sunlight to prevent bacteria breeding.
- Use a wheelie bin screen or cover to extend its longevity and quality.
What to do if your wheelie bin is stolen?
If your wheelie bin is stolen, you need to report it to the police immediately. You can either call the police by dialling 101 or fill the online reporting form available on the official website of the local police force. Stealing a wheelie bin or anything from the bin is illegal and if someone does that to your bin, you can take legal help.
Police may not have the resources to resolve every small theft case and hence, you might not get your wheelie bin back. However, it is important that you inform them about the incident so that they can keep an eye on the thieve activities in your locality, which will save you and your locality from any future theft. You may additionally report to the local council about the theft.
How to Choose the Right Wheelie Bin Size?
To choose the right wheelie bin size, you need to first understand your load amount. It is difficult to measure your load amount but you can get some idea through observation. You need to know that wheelie bins have standard sizes, which can hold a certain maximum amount. Purchasing the right size will allow you to make the most out of it without overloading it.
Did you know that the standard size of the wheelie bins in the UK is 240 Litres?
Yes, this size is capable of storing enough trash if you have a small family. Many families fill their 240-Litre wheelie bins on a weekly basis. If it is a general waste bin, a 240-Litre bin will suffice your daily or weekly needs depending upon the load. For recycling and garden wheelie bins, 240-Litre size is supposed to suffice your weekly needs.
Why you shouldn’t leave your wheelie bin out in the street?
You shouldn’t leave your wheelie bin out in the street because it could cause an obstruction to your neighbours. There might be people with wheelchairs and pushchairs or those with sight and mobility issues. As a responsible citizen, your duty is to cooperate with them in every possible way and hence, keeping your bin bag out is not a wise decision.
You could be fined anything up to £100 for leaving your wheelie bin out in the street. In some localities, people have been fined for leaving their wheelie bin out only for an hour. So, to avoid such issues, you need to be a little careful.
How to clean a wheelie bin?
There are multiple effective ways of cleaning wheelie bins and the method you choose depends mostly upon the condition of your bin. If no food particle is stuck into your bin after disposing of trash, you can simply wash your bin with water. Or, if your bin contains some amount of food residue that is causing a bad smell, you need to use a mild detergent or bleach to clean it effectively. You can also use hose water to run a flow of water inside your bin. If you want to clean your wheelie bin using home ingredients, baking soda and lemon are some good options.
How to Get Rid of Wheelie Bin Odour Once and For All?
You can use home remedies to get rid of wheelie bin odour once and for all. This powerful ingredient is known for neutralising bad odours at homes. To apply it correctly, all you need to do is pour two to four tablespoons of baking soda at the bottom of your wheelie bin and fill half of the bin with cold water. You can leave it for an hour or so and then clean it properly with water. This method will not only help you eliminate the bad smell once but will also keep it at bay for the next week.
How do you clean a bin with maggots?
To clean a bin with maggots, you can apply multiple methods. Here are some effective ways you can try:
- You can use a fly spray to kill the maggots inside your bin and then rinse off with water and detergents.
- Another alternative way to kill maggots inside your wheelie bin is by pouring over boiling water with one or two teaspoons of bleach. Then, you can wash your bin with water and detergent.
- Malt vinegar does a great job at killing off maggots along with their larvae. Hence, you can use this ingredient in the right proportion to clean your wheelie bin that has maggots.
- According to some homeowners, large quantities of salt can be used to kill maggots. You can use this formula to see whether it works or not.
- When you empty your wheelie bin after disposing of trash, most of the maggots will go immediately.