Are dianthus poisonous to dogs? Let’s find out

Flowers are a lovely addition to any garden, they look stunning, they provide beautiful aromas and some of them can even be used as edible decorations. But, one thing you have to be careful of is ensuring that your furry friends don’t end up consuming your dianthus. Some flowers can be poisonous to dogs if ingested and dianthus is one of them. Let’s explore this below:

dianthus plants

Table of Contents

Are dianthus poisonous to dogs?

Yes, dianthus is poisonous to dogs. The reason for this is that dianthus contains a chemical called saponin (although not confirmed). This substance can induce vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain in dogs if consumed. In severe cases, it can even be fatal. They can also cause similar gastrointestinal effects to humans. So make sure that you keep your curious dogs and children away from them.

dog ate dianthus

What is saponin?

Saponin is a glycoside, which means it’s a compound made up of a sugar molecule bonded to another molecule. Saponins are found in a wide variety of plants, including dianthus. They’re often used as detergents and foaming agents, and they have a soapy taste. Saponins are also known for their ability to kill aquatic creatures, which is why they’re sometimes used as fish poison.

There is a lot of speculation about whether or not saponin is solely responsible for the toxicity of dianthus to dogs. Some experts believe that other chemicals in the plant, such as eugenol, might also be to blame. However, saponin is definitely the most well-known and studied toxic compound in dianthus.

Returning back to saponin, there are natural compounds called “Triterpenoid Saponins” which are structurally similar to the saponin found in dianthus. These natural compounds essentially contribute to the plant’s protection system. These have been found in many varieties of dianthus including:

  • Dianthus caryophyllus (Clove pink)
  • Dianthus chinensis (Chinese pink)
  • Dianthus gratianopolitanus (Firewitch)
  • Dianthus plumarius (Garden pinks)
dianthus plant

Dianthus poison to dogs: What to do

Here is a checklist that you should carry out if you fear your dog has consumed dianthus:

Remove the plant from your dog’s Mouth

if you catch your dog in the act of eating the dianthus, you need to remove the plant matter from its mouth as quickly as possible. Rinse out their mouth with lukewarm water to remove any residual saponins.

Call your veterinarian right away

  • Do not panic, but remain calm and try to assess the situation
  • If your dog is vomiting, have them drink small sips of water
  • If your dog is experiencing diarrhea, give them plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration
  • Try to collect a sample of the plant material your dog consumed
  • Take note of any other symptoms your dog is exhibiting
call your vet first

Dianthus poison to dogs: What not to do

After researching this topic, a lot of informational sites suggest inducing vomiting and, as a dog owner myself, I don’t agree with trying to interfere with your dog without seeking advice from a professional. The way I see it, 90% of us lack the medical knowledge to be able to access the situation properly which is why contacting your vet is the only responsible action to take.

If your dog has consumed dianthus and is showing any of the symptoms listed above, call your veterinarian right away. They will be able to properly diagnose your dog and give you the best course of action. If they feel that your dog needs to be seen/ treated, they will let you know and will provide you with what to do next.

How to prevent your dog from eating dianthus

The best way to prevent your dog from eating dianthus (or any other plant for that matter) is to keep a close eye on them when they’re outside. If you have dianthus in your garden, make sure it’s in an area that’s not easily accessible to your dog. If you take your dog for walks, avoid areas where dianthus grows wild.

You should also train your dog not to eat plants. This can be done by teaching them the “leave it” or “drop it” commands. Prevention is always better than cure and there is a wealth of information out there on the internet that you can use to train your dog.

If surfing the internet isn’t your thing, you can also sign up for dog training classes where you will be shown how to train your dog not to eat plants (among other things). These classes can be really beneficial for both you and your dog as they provide a structured environment where you can learn together.

dog training

Conclusion

In conclusion, while saponin is the most well-known and studied toxic compound in dianthus, there are other chemicals in the plant that might also be to blame. Let’s summarise everything we’ve learnt:

  • Dianthus is poisonous to dogs they contain toxins
  • They can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain
  • Saponin could be one of the reasons for this
  • If your dog has consumed dianthus, you should remove the plant from its mouth, flush it out with water and seek medical advice from a veterinarian
  • Prevention is better than cure, so train them not to go near your plants or take them to dog training classes
dianthus should be avoided

People Also Ask

Is dianthus safe around dogs?

No, dianthus is not safe for dogs. All parts of the plant are poisonous to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. If your dog has consumed dianthus, you should remove the plant from its mouth and flush it out with water. You should then seek medical advice from a veterinarian.

How long does it take for a dog to show signs of poisoning?

The time it takes for a dog to show signs of poisoning depends on the number of toxins consumed and the individual dog. Some dogs may start showing symptoms within minutes, while others may not display any symptoms for hours or even days. If your dog has consumed dianthus or any other poisonous plant, you should remove the plant from its mouth and flush it out with water.

Can we eat dianthus?

Make your next meal more fun and interesting by adding edible dianthus! Also called pinks or carnations, these flowers have a clove-like flavor that can enhance many dishes. Steep them in wine or sugar, use them to decorate desserts and add zest to ice cream or sorbet, fruit salad, seafood, and stir-fries.

How long does it take for a dog to show signs of poisoning?

The time it takes for a dog to show signs of poisoning depends on the number of toxins consumed and the individual dog. Some dogs may start showing symptoms within minutes, while others may not display any symptoms for hours or even days. If your dog has consumed dianthus or any other poisonous plant, you should remove the plant from its mouth and flush it out with water.

How long do dianthus bloom for?

Dianthus typically bloom for around 2-3 weeks. However, this can vary depending on the type of dianthus and the growing conditions. If you deadhead the flowers (remove them when they start to fade), you may be able to extend the blooming period.

Do dianthus flowers spread?

Dianthus flowers can spread through self-seeding or division. Self-seeding occurs when the flowers drop their seeds and they germinate to form new plants. Division involves digging up an existing plant and dividing it into multiple smaller plants. This is typically done in spring or fall.

Share your love
Oliver Wright
Oliver Wright

I hope you enjoy reading some of the content and ideas from this site, I tend to share articles and product reviews on a daily basis, so be rest assured… you won’t run out of things to read!

Articles: 345